Monday, September 15, 2008

Sunday meal prep

Another busy Sunday of cooking. I made some a huge batch of ground turkey/vegetable meatballs, which required baking a bunch of carrots, sweet potatoes and squash, I added the pureed veggies and some fresh herbs and spices, onion, and Parmesan cheese and an egg and bread crumbs and formed into balls, then baked. Considering how long it took it really wasn't that bad and I get sooo much made it's definitely worth it.

I also made some homemade tomato sauce to use up the fresh tomatoes from our garden. I freeze it as flat as I can so I can break or cut off just a chunk.

Finally, I made the Chinese Pork Riblet with mushrooms and tofu stir fry, it was going to go bad if i didn't get it cooked soon. It turned out pretty good, I loved the woodear and shitakes I put in it, a really good flavor. Yeah, I was in the kitchen a lot on Sunday, but that frees up a lot of time later this week when our schedules are so busy.

Oh and their was a lot of extra pureed veggies so I was able to freeze that, I just line a small cookie sheet with wax paper, scoop out 1/4 cup size globs on the sheet, when they're mostly frozen I just transfer them to a freezer container. I often put them in the foods I send with the young one for lunches at school or in other soups and stocks. My son actually does pretty well eating vegetables and he always gets a recognizable (not disguised) vegetable with his meal which he generally eats right up (especially with some sauce: balsamic vinaigrette, poppyseed dressing, or salsa are his fave's). But I also think there's nothing wrong with adding a little more vegetable to his and our meals.

No comments: